This project included evaluation and rehabilitation of two 70 year old control structures; the Crown Zellerbach (CZ gates) and the Mark’s Slough Weir. Over time, the exposure to thermal freeze/thaw cycles, naturally occurring salts and the dynamics of being in service impacted the strength, durability and overall structural performance of these types of control structures, as well as structural modifications to provide flow management and monitoring capabilities. As a result, these control structures required a thorough structural evaluation to determine the condition of the existing structures, determine whether or not the existing structures could be modified or replaced to provide safe operation, to provide suitable flow management and monitoring, and to extend the life of each structure to ensure safe operation for years to come. This project had three defined phases: a preliminary evaluation phase, a control structures design phase, and a construction engineering services phase. The improvements in the CZ Gates included automated flow control using the City SCADA, as well as reinforcing the existing structure to extend its useful life. The Mark’s Slough weir required improved flow control, monitoring, modifications to address worker safety issues, and reinforcement to extend the useful life of the weir.
GET IN TOUCH WITH US:
Miller Consulting Engineers (MCE) is a well-established, growing structural engineering firm located in SW Portland, OR. We provide diversified structural engineering services to a variety of clients and design using a full array of materials including timber, steel, masonry, concrete, and composites. Consulting is a fast-paced business and last year we completed over 1,500 projects.
MCE offers a competitive benefits package and growth opportunities. We also support continuing education and training to encourage your potential.
- Competitive salary (commensurate with experience)
- Company profit sharing & retirement contribution
- Work-life balance
Employer paid benefits including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance
If you're interested in joining our growing team, look through our current openings below and submit your résumé and cover letter. We look forward to hearing from you!
Associate Structural Engineer I (3+ years experience and license)
- Perform calculations, develop loading requirements, & create accurate & concise drawings
- Communicate effectively & professionally with senior engineers & clients regarding status of new & ongoing projects
- Pay attention to client expectations & scope adjustments, work closely with senior engineers
- Perform research & conduct field investigations
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent
- PE license & 3+ years of experience is required
- Preferred to have personal vehicle & the minimum required Oregon insurance for site visits
- Ability to generate creative solutions within existing limitations
- Balances team and individual responsibilities
- Contributes to positive team spirit